Frequently asked questions:

1.  What documents do I need to file my taxes?

The most common forms that are needed to file taxes are:- W-2 from your employer- 1099-R if you receive retirement proceeds- 1099-Misc is your are self employed- 1099-INT for bank interest- 1099-DIV for Stock Dividends- 1099-B for Stock Transactions- 1095-A Marketplace Insurance Statement is you were covered under the Marketplace- 1095- B or C if you had insurance through your employer or were self-insured.

2. Do I need an appointment?

Generally, we accept walk-ins until mid- February. Clients are helped on a first come- first serve basis. We start recommending appointments for clients who come after February 15th. We set aside extra time to review and discuss your financial situation and what types of deductions you may be eligible for. Appointments are always recommended for clients who own businesses or have complex financial situations. Drop-off service is also available at any time. No appointment is needed to drop off information. The tax preparer will call to discuss your taxes over the phone while preparing the tax return.

3.  Do I still need to file if I didn't make much?

It's a good idea to call or stop by the office with your documents to see if it would be necessary to file. If taxes were withheld from any earnings during the year or if you are eligible for a tax credit like the Earned Income Credit, you need to file to receive a refund. If you received Health Insurance Coverage under the Marketplace at any time during the year, you are required to file regardless of income.

4. Who can I claim as a dependent?

To claim a dependent, certain tests need to met. Generally, dependents are Qualifying Children who lived with you for more than 6 months during the year and for whom you provided more than half of their support. Qualifying Relatives may also be claimed as dependents if you have provided more than half of their support and they have lived with you all year. There are some exceptions. See this link:

5. What Is the Due Date of My Federal Tax Return or Am I Eligible to Request an Extension?

Individual tax returns (Forms 1040, 1040NR, 1040A, and 1040EZ) :- First deadline is April 17, 2018.- Extended deadline is October 16, 2018.Partnership returns (Form 1065) :- First deadline is March 15, 2018 (note change of deadline).- Extended deadline is September 15, 2018.Trust and Estate income tax returns (Form 1041) :- First deadline is April 17, 2018.- Extended deadline is October 2, 2018 Note change: extensions for fiduciary returns are now five and a half months instead of five months. C-Corporation returns (Form 1120) :- First deadline is April 17, 2018 for corporations on a calendar year (note change of deadline).- Extended deadline is October 16, 2017 (note change of deadline, corporations are now permitted a six-month automatic extension).

6. What credit are available for college students?

There are two credits available: (1) Lifetime Learning Credit - up to $2,000 per return for all years of post-secondary education, and  (2) American Opportunity Credit - up to $1,500 per return available for up to 4 years of post-secondary education (undergraduate).

7. How can I get the Earned Income Credit?

To qualify, you must have a qualifying child and your income much be less than $48,340 ($53,930 for Married Filing Jointly). Maximum earned income credit amounts are $3,400 for one child, $5,616 for two children, and $6,318 for three children (with income ranges $14,040 to $18,340).